The African prize for Engineering is an initiative that is run by the Royal Academy of Engineering in the UK to help ambitious and talented African engineers to develop solutions that will create economic impact as well as improve the quality of life in Africa.
Its an 8 month training and mentor-ship program to improve agile engineering practices and entities to solve African challenges ranging from agriculture , health , education and many more.This program has been supported by Shell cooperation , Consolidated contracts company , Conoco Phillips and Mo Ibrahim foundation since 2014.
Its been specifically designed to help social entrepreneurs and inspire young Sub-Saharan engineers to change the world as well as the African continent.
Eligibility & Criteria.
- You must be an individual or in a small group of innovators.
- You must be a citizen of an African country and in case of a small group the lead applicant must be a citizen of a country in Sub Saharan Africa.
- Its not necessary that the innovation is done by an engineer or an engineering student.
- You must provide a letter of support from an institution you are affiliated with , whether its a university or an incubation center .
- You must be 18 years and above with no upper age limit.
- Your innovation should be based in an engineering field .The wider aspect of engineering that includes biotechnology , chemical engineering , civil engineering , ICT , design engineering , Biomedical engineering and other fields.
- You must have developed your innovation or should be in the early stages of commercialization.
- You innovation should have a social impact and have the potential to CD ate jobs , create social impact and improve the quality of life.
- The overall winner walks home with £ 25,000 as 3 runners up win £ 10,000 during the final.pitch session.
- Gain extensive media coverage of your startup with distinguished media houses including the guardian in the UK.
- Gain an 8 months training program for top 16 shortlisted candidates with mentor-ship and training.
- Participate in a remote motion with calls and webinars to help you improve your technology as well as in commercialization.
- Engage in 3 immersive weeks in both the UK and in an African country with visa fees , flights and hotel accommodation catered for.
- Gain an opportunity to attend the pitch at palace program 2020 in the UK at the queens palace.
How To Apply
To apply please click here