The japan Africa Scholarship (JADS) program is a program that is being run jointly by two organisations. the AfDB and the government of Japan. This is an initiative to create a 2 year scholarship to highly performing African students who will be able to undertake an undergraduate course in japan. The main agenda of this program is to enhance the skills and human resources capacity in Africa through a number of priority areas in science and technology especially in the energy sector.
JADS objectives are aligned with the objectives of the World bank’s high 5 Agenda which are Light up and power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa , integrate Africa and improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Eligibility and Criteria.
- You must be a national of a country which is a member of the African Development Bank.
- You must be in good health to travel and study abroad in japan.
- You should be holding a bachelors degree in the energy area or at least one year experience.
- Have 1 years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
Awards and Benefits.
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of the study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period.
- Tuition for a graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance usually obtained through the university.
- A monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship. Please note all JADS scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
The JADS Scholarship does not cover:
- VISA application(s) costs
- Expenses to bring and/or support scholar’s family members;
- Extra-curricular courses or training;
- Language training not provided by the graduate program;
- Additional travel during the course of the study program;
- Expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships; or
- Educational equipment such as computers.
How To Apply.
To Apply please click here.
To go through a list of eligible universities click here