The Rhodes Scholarship supports exceptional young people for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford, and actively fosters lifelong learning and fellowship.Applications for the Rhodes Scholarship consist of multiple stages. Below are 7 steps to guide you through the process.
The Scholarship is not just a financial bursary, it is a life-changing opportunity for exceptional young people with the potential to make a difference for good in the world. Rhodes Scholars are people who have a vision of how the world could be better and the energy to make a difference – whatever their sphere of interest. Rhodes alumni have distinguished themselves in every field – see scholar studies and the ways in which scholars are standing up to the world.
As Selection Committees select on the basis not only of intellect, but also of character, leadership and commitment to service, the scholar program aims to build on these Rhodes Scholar qualities, with the first and second-year retreats, workshops and conferences, in addition to social and discussion events, hosted at Rhodes House.
The fellowship of Rhodes Scholars, worldwide and across generations, is active and over 7,000 strong. Rhodes Scholars therefore enter a life-long fellowship with ongoing opportunities to connect with current and Senior Scholars and, beyond that, a warm and engaging community within Scholars typically develop enduring friendships. The Rhodes Scholarship opens up opportunities for Scholars before, after and during their time in Oxford.
Eligibility and Criteria.
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
Awards and Benefits.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is for two years in the first instance. The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University (and College) fees as well as providing an annual stipend. For the 2018/19 academic year, the stipend will be £15,141 per annum (c. £1,260 per month).
- The detailed Conditions of Tenure document outlines permitted combinations of degrees, and how many years of study are covered by the Scholarship, as the latter depends on course choice – for example up to three years of fees and stipend is available to Scholars who choose to undertake a DPhil (PhD) at Oxford.
- In addition to the above, the Rhodes Trust will cover two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
- Scholars receive a settling in allowance on arrival (£225 in 2017-18).
- The International Health Surcharge, which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service, is covered for the duration of a Scholar’s tenure.
- Following selection for the Scholarship, the Rhodes Trust will also cover the application fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford.
- A number of research grants are also available to Rhodes Scholars, on application, which enables Scholars to, for example, attend international conferences or conduct additional fieldwork.
How To Apply
To apply please click here