AU-YVC is a continental development program that recruits and works with youth volunteers, to work in all 54 countries across the African Union.
AU-YVC promotes volunteering to deepen the status of young people in Africa as key participants in the delivery of Africa’s human development targets and goals. It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated Continent and by implication strengthen Africa’s relevance in the globalized world.
The concept is in line with the African Youth Charter as well as the Decision of AU Head of States and Governments in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) January 2010, to set up a continental Volunteer initiative.
AU-YVC was officially launched on the 3rd of December 2010 in Abuja, Nigeria, in the presence of H.E. President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Ministers of Youth from across the AU, high level AU representatives, Partners and other Volunteer Organizations and Africa’s Youth at large.
Eligibility and criteria.
- Aspiring volunteers who fulfill all requirements should fill out the online application form and upload their CV.
- Organizations wishing to deploy youth volunteers are required to fill out the online request form . Alternatively, organizations can send their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Screening: Volunteer Applications and Volunteer Requests would now be screened for completeness through a vigorous and transparent process.
- Matching: Applications of nominated volunteer candidates are matched with available vacancies according to the criteria specified by the requesting organization.
- Selection: The AU-YVC would send multiple CVs (4-8) of matched volunteers to requesting organization to make final selection.
- Volunteer Training: Prior to their deployment volunteers would be trained for a period of 2 to 3 weeks by the AU-YVC unit to enhance volunteers professional, interpersonal and life skills. The training aims to prepare volunteers for their country of deployment and/or enhance their capacity.
- Deployment: selected volunteers would now sign a tri-partite agreement with their host organization and the AUC which shall guide the terms of deployment
- Progress Assessment: volunteers are expected to provide regular reports on their activities and address challenges to the AU-YVC unit.
Awards and Benefits.
On the field, AU Youth Volunteers would serve primarily in the following fields.
- Health and HIV/ AIDS.
- Peace and Security.
- Information and Communications Technology.
- Business and Youth Entrepreneurship.
- Agriculture and Environment.
AU-YVC volunteer are deployed strictly in non for profit settings where their impact and contributions can fill the gap for much needed skilled man power. This would typically be:
- Rural Community Schools.
- Hospitals and Health Centers.
- Post Conflict Setting.
- International Organizations.
- Government Offices/ Ministries.
How To Apply
To apply please click here