Kumvana comes from the Chichewa dialect in Malawi. It refers to the mutual exchange of knowledge for shared community benefit. It means to ‘unite so we may discuss and understand’. The Kumvana program is designed to enable and support local innovations that lead to greater social and economic inclusion and sustainability. Kumvana Fellows contribute to a global community of EWB changemakers. Their exposure and interaction with Canadian entrepreneurs and innovation champions allow for knowledge transfer and connection.
Eligibility and Criteria
- You are a citizen of, and currently working in, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Côte D’Ivoire, or Zambia.
- You have not previously taken part in a similar fellowship program.
- You are proficient in English.
- You are able to travel to Canada in February 2020 for a full-time five-week experience.
- You can commit to an 8-week online course, taking about 3 hours of work per week.
- You are flexible in living conditions (sharing a room with another fellow of the same gender, living with a family, etc.)
- You have the energy and drive to handle a fast-paced schedule while in Canada.
Awards and Benefits
- Dedicate about 3 hours/week to an online learning course
- Participate in a weekend African retreat to meet our community
- Build relationships with African and Canadian leaders and changemakers during a 5-week intensive Canadian experience
- Stay with a Canadian host family
- Learn from relevant professional Canadian networks
- Bring intention and reflection on your personal leadership journey.
- The program is costs covered. All costs related to the program are either paid for directly by EWB (airfare, insurance, visas, etc.) or indirectly through a modest daily stipend, which covers basic living expenses (food, local travel) while in Canada.
How to Apply
To apply please click here