Masters scholarships are scholarships for excellence awarded exclusively to students who have graduated from a foreign university and whose academic results are of a very high level.
UNIL grants around ten scholarships a year. The scholarship is granted for the minimum statutory period of the programme chosen by the student. It amounts to CHF 1,600 per month from 15 September to 15 July (or 10 months a year) for the complete duration of the masters (one and a half years or two years depending on the chosen masters), with the exception of cases of definitive failure after the first year. Students offered a scholarship will be exempt from the fixed registration fees for the courses, with the exception of the CHF 80.00 fees to be paid each semester. The University of Lausanne will offer 42 Master’s programmes in 2019. All programmes, with the exception of the MSc in Nursing Sciences and the MSc in Health Sciences, can be attended part-time
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible you must :
- Have obtained a foreign university degree considered equivalent to a bachelor at UNIL before the beginning of the masters programme at UNIL.
- Have distinguished yourself during your studies, especially through particularly brilliant academic results.
- Have a language level of at least B2 (according to the European Language Portfolio global scale) in French or English according to the language in which your chosen masters is taught.
- Not have been registered with UNIL in the past.
- Have paid the CHF 200.00 administration fee (see document, “list of documents to attach to your application”).
- Withdrawal from the programme will lead to the suspension of the scholarship.
- you may apply for this Masters scholarship even if you have not yet obtained your degree equivalent to a Swiss Bachelor degree at the time of application. Nonetheless, you
must of course have completed and obtained your degree before the start of your chosen Masters programme at UNIL.
Awards and Benefits
- The rent has to be paid by the student, but the amount is reasonable in comparison with the prices of the private housing market in the Lausanne region.
- Plus, international students at the University of Lausanne can buy a special health insurance which is also cheaper than the ones that are paid by swiss students
- The federal and cantonal authorities consider that an amount of approximately CHF 2000.- per month is necessary to live in Lausanne.
- As such, the amount of the Master’s Grant does not coverthe full expenses of a student.
- It is thus highly recommended to have some personal
complementary financial ressources in order to supplement the monthly budget.
- Furthermore, the Master’s Grant is payed solely during the academic year, that is for 10 months. It does not cover
the period from july 15th to september 15th.
- Nonetheless, the University of Lausanne guarantees to all Master’s grantees an accommodation with the Student Housing Foundation of Lausanne, the FMEL.
How To Apply
To apply please click here