Getty Scholar Grants are for established scholars, or writers who have attained distinction in their fields. Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue their own projects free from academic obligations, make use of Getty collections, join their colleagues in a weekly meeting devoted to an annual research theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applications are welcome from researchers of all nationalities who are working in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Scholar Grants.
- Recent recipients who have received a Getty Scholar award within the past three years may be removed from consideration.
- The Getty Scholar programs aim to fill a need for opportunities for senior-level professionals, fellows, scholars and writers to pursue research on topics that bring new knowledge and fresh perspectives to their field.
- Getty Scholar Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications are evaluated based on the following:
- The overall quality of the application.
- How the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme.
- The applicant’s past achievements.
- How the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
Awards and Benefits
- Getty Scholars may be in residence from three to nine months:
- Three-month residency: September to December, January to April, April to June: $17,200
- Six-month residency: September to April, January to June: $42,000
- Nine-month residency: September to June: $65,000
- The grant also includes an office at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and available healthcare option.
- These terms apply as of June 2019 and are subject to future changes.
- While in residence, Scholars participate in the intellectual life of the Getty, making use of research collections at the Getty Center and Villa, and in the greater Los Angeles area.
- They also become active participants in the cultural life of the city.
- Applicants are notified of the Getty Research Institute’s decision approximately six months following the deadline.
How To Apply
To apply please click here