The EAC Scholarship Programme is an initiative by the East African Community (EAC), the Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) and German Development Bank-KFW. The project begun in 2018 when the EAC and IUCEA entered into a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with KFW geared towards the training of students within the EAC region. This Project aims at creating future change agents, who identify themselves with the integration agenda of the EAC and are willing to share economic and development-oriented expert knowledge. The goal of this initiative is to contribute towards training leaders that will foster EAC regional integration.
This goal will be partly achieved through the establishment of academic collaboration and an exchange programme between universities/Institutions within the EAC region, by encouraging students to study in countries other than their own. In order to
achieve these impacts, the project offers a comprehensive package including scholarships for masters programmes, internships, mentoring, networking events and further leadership training activities. The scholarship will support masters students in Mathematics, Engineering, Informatics, Science, Technology
and Business Science programmes. The programme will include a minimum 30 percent females students in order to support women’s participation and enhance gender equality. IUCEA hereby invites applications from students who are citizens of the East African Community (EAC) Partner States to apply for the KFW funded Masters Scholarships.
Eligibility and Criteria
The following criteria is mandatory. Students should :
- Be citizens of a partner state of the East African Community.
- Possess the required academic qualifications for admission to the programme.
Submit a well written motivation letter in English elaborating on the following:
- Motivation for wanting to pursue a the Masters Programme chosen in section 2 above.
- Foreseen professional engagement in EAC Integration agenda after completing the Masters.
- Expect application of the acquired skills and knowledge from the Masters Programme to contribute the EAC Integration Agenda.
- Personal professional and academic vision in the next 5 to 10 years.
Awards and Benefits
- The project offers financial support to academically skilled and disadvantaged masters students with the main focus on priority programmes.
- Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to join the
- Masters students shall be given a fixed amount of money to cover living as well as costs for teaching and research materials.
- The students shall be required to apply to study in an EAC Partner State other than their own.
- At the universities/Institutions, mentors will be selected in order to support the students during the time of study and research.
- With the help of integrated internships, and extra-curricular activities, practical learning will be ensured through the universities and public-private partnerships undertakings.
- IUCEA will support the universities/Institutions in selection of the mentors and facilitation of the internships during the implementation of masters programmes.
- The financial cooperation arrangement shall finance the first three cohorts of approximately 157 masters students over their full study time of 2 years.
- The students will take part in extracurricular events at minimum of one event-visit per year per student.
- These could be networking events with representatives from political and socio-economic spheres, whereby training on regional integration topics and other subjects based seminars are organized.
How To Apply
- Applications will be submitted through the following process and steps:
Identify the programme and University of your choice.
- Fill the application form for admission to the university (available from the university, visit their website for more details).
- Fill an application form for the scholarship (available on the IUCEA website at http://www.iucea.org.
- Append the supporting documentation for the admission as per university requirements and for the scholarship as per section 7 below.
- Submit both application forms electronically to the University and copy to the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Please submit the following supporting documents together with the application forms
- Signed curriculum vitae.
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates. Please combine into one file.
- Certified copies of all university transcripts. Please combine into one file.
- If applicable, an official letter confirming release from your employer. The letter must be on letterhead.
- Recent passport photograph in color of your full head and upper shoulders.
- Evidence of citizenship of a Partner State in the East African Community such as copy of national identity card/ passport/birth certificate.
- A well written motivation letter in English showing the relevance of intended programme of study to the EAC integration and development agenda.
To Apply please click here