The Incubator for Integration and Development in East Africa (IIDEA) is an initiative which incubates small-scale regional integration projects, proposed and implemented by civil society, private sector and other interest groups in East Africa. It is cross-border in nature with projects involving at least two EAC Partner States. IIDEA provides technical and financial support for implementation and marketing of eligible projects. The initiative is implemented jointly with the East African Community Secretariat and the German Development Cooperation implemented by GIZ.
IIDEA projects put into action and showcase success stories, impacts and experiences of citizens regarding the implementation of the EAC Customs Union and Common Market Protocol. This includes provisions such as the free movement of citizens, labour, goods, capital and the rights of establishment and residence of citizens in East Africa. In addition it will support projects that engage with the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The main objective of IIDEA is to ensure that Non-state actors in the EAC-Partner States have implemented measures for people‘s participation in regional economic integration. To realize the objective, 15 measures on services and products offered in the field of social and economic integration are implemented, 10 of them with a focus on the needs of women and youth.
The specific objectives of IIDEA project over the next three years are:
- To support organizations that develop products and services to promote regional integration that are used by citizens of East Africa.
- To communicate stories and results of these organizations to inform and actively engage citizens of East Africa in the implementation of the EAC Common Market Protocol.
- To establish partnership for sustained citizens’ engagement in the EAC integration process.
Eligibility and Criteria
- We invite organizations with innovative projects and the capacity to implement them to submit their applications for support, in particular projects in the following areas: Health, Innovation in ICT, Agriculture, Trade and Tourism are eligible.
- We specifically encourage projects focusing on the needs of Youth and Women in the region.
- All IIDEA applications will undergo the following two steps of assessment:
Basic Eligibility Check: In the first instance, the project applications will be subjected to a basic eligibility check. If the application does not meet the basic eligibility criteria in full, it will not progress to the next appraisal step.
- Eligible applications will be shortlisted and presented to the IIDEA Committee for scoring, final assessment and decision.
- Full Project Appraisal and Scoring: The selected project proposals will be appraised and scored against the following criteria:
- They will be appraised and scored based on their level of alignment to the IIDEA project Concept, priority areas and theme specific selection criteria. (100 points).
- They will be appraised and scored according to generic selection criteria, i.e. efficiency, relevance, effectiveness and cross cutting themes. (100 points).
- The following basic eligibility criteria must be met by all innovative project applications:
- Submit a duly filled out standard project application form, including the four required annexes (budget, monitoring and evaluation structure (Results Based Matrix) of the project,
communications plan, and a short cover letter summarizing the project proposal in not more than 500 words).
- Proposed projects should be cross-border in nature and involve stakeholders from at least two EAC Partner States. Eligible organisations must be registered national organisations,
associations, or any other registered constellation.
- The stakeholders’ willingness to collaborate and engage in the project must be fully demonstrated in the application.
- The proposed projects should demonstrate concrete and tangible benefits of social and economic development integration to the citizens of the EAC Partner States by addressing one or more of the four freedoms under the EAC Common Market Protocol, namely the free movement of workers, the free movement of goods, the free movement of services; and the free movement of capital.
- Full Project Appraisal and Scoring.
- The proposed innovative project must provide evidence of how it will contribute to the overall objective of the IIDEA Project as laid down in the Concept Note. (20 points).
- The applicants must provide evidence of how the proposed innovative project contributes to their chosen priority topic and theme to be picked from one of the IIDEA priority topics and
themes as laid out in the Concept Note (Health, ICT (digital and e-commerce), Agriculture, Trade, Tourism and EAC stakeholders’ engagement on the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) as key areas in the EAC Common Market Protocol.
- The project must contribute to one of the above priority topics and themes. (20 points).
- Under the generic selection criteria, the proposed innovative projects will be further appraised and scored on the basis of meeting the following criteria which will assess their efficiency, relevance, effectiveness and how appropriately they address cross cutting themes (160 points).
Awards and Benefits
- Contribution to cross cutting themes. The proposed innovative project must contribute to the following cross cutting themes:-Gender, Youth and marginalized groups (promote the involvement and participation of the marginalized groups and gender mainstreaming as well Youth participation.
- Sustainable Development (projects must illustrate financial,
operational, environmental and social sustainability); Partnership (projects must demonstrate the involvement of the relevant stakeholder groups in the preparation and implementation of the project).
- Conflict sensitivity: projects should facilitate the participation and integration of different interest groups and should contribute to conflict mitigation where necessary. The project should be in line with the “do-no-harm”approach.
- Replication of project: The project must demonstrate potential for replication in other contexts in the EAC region and it should not contravene existing national policies and legal provisions.
- Impact on citizens in the region: projects must demonstrate real life East African integration experiences and opportunities and communicate the tangible outcomes for citizens, but also must reach at least 2,000 beneficiaries.
- Value for money: The proposed innovative projects must be realistically costed and have the capacity to promote positive perception amongst citizens of the EAC Partner States on the EAC integration process. Projects may build on previous or existing cross border activities and lessons learnt.
- Need/Justification: The need and justification for the proposed innovative project must be well established and described. Any relevant research should be included to show how the project links with or complements Partner States’ efforts to promote the EAC integration process.
- Shared ownership and equally committed capacities: since IIDEA projects are collaborative initiatives between stakeholders from at least two EAC Partner States, the collaborating partners must take ownership for the project, share its risks and equally
commit resources such as human capacity and time.
- Shared values and organisational capability: Applying organisations/partners should have a history of engaging in socially responsible practices, provide proof of solid financial
practices and background including the necessary management capacity to fulfill its foreseen role in the future project. Providing references from their previous or current development partners is required.
- Communication strategy: The proposed innovative project must demonstrate clear strategies for communicating and publicizing the activities, outcomes and impacts of the project on the citizens;
How To Apply
Applications must be received at EAC–GIZ Offices in Arusha not later than 30th July 2019. Applications and the relevant supporting documents thereof shall be submitted in PDF format (preferred) or other electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com.
To Apply please click here