The Africa-America Institute is pleased to announce the launch of its inaugural Dr. Ousseina and Ambassador Dr. Hassana Alidou African Women in Leadership Program for female graduate
students (MA/PhD) and early career professionals (1-5 years post-graduation) based on the continent of Africa. The first inaugural mentoring workshop will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, on 22 October 2019, in collaboration with the United States International University-Africa (USIU Africa) during the biennial conference of the African Studies Association of Africa (ASAA), 24-26 October 2019.
The one-day workshop will focus on issues confronting young women professionals and graduate students. Tentative topics to be covered include but are not limited to: building a sustainable
professional network; conducting research and publishing your work, networking and job placements, striking a balance between the personal and the professional; grant writing and funding opportunities, dealing with sexual harassment and many more.
Successful applicants will be matched with women scholars and industry leaders to develop a lasting mentorship relationship. Successful applicants who go on to produce a piece of scholarly
work or complete a series of co-mentoring tasks will be awarded a certificate of completion and inducted into the Africa America Institute-Alidou Women in Leadership Network.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applicants must be either current female graduate students in an MA or Ph.D. program on the continent of Africa who is writing their thesis or preparing a research proposal or early career professionals (1-5 years post-graduation) with a Masters or Ph.D.
- Degree applicants must be members of the ASAA in good standing
Awards and Benefits
Selected applicants will receive:
- A free one-day workshop.
- A stipend for local transport.
- Lunch and coffee breaks.
How To Apply
To apply please click here
Applicants should please submit the following documents by 1 SEPTEMBER 2019:
- Current CV
- Statement of intent (no more than 1000 words)
- Describe your professional aspirations and where you expect to see yourself over the next five years.
- Issues or topics you would like to have covered during the workshop.
- Your anticipated contributions to the workshop.
The entire dossier shall be compiled as a single PDF file and submitted by email to the organizers of the workshop, [add names], to the address email@example.com (put in the subject line “Nairobi 2019”)