Following the success of 1st four editions, the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through its women, is launching the 5th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health, agriculture and food security, water, energy, and climate change, as well as mathematics and economic science.
The program´s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services, and technologies having an impact on people´s lives.
To achieve this ambitious goal, FMxA collaborates with the Spanish Centres of Excellence, whose prestige is unanimously recognized throughout Spain and internationally, thereby ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields. In this 5th edition our associated research centers are:
Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
Kronikgune Research Center
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
Donostia International Physics Center
Material Physics Center – (MPC-CFM)
Principe Felipe Research Center (CIPF)
Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB)
Institute for Sustainable Agriculture (IAS)
Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT)
The campus of International Excellence in Agrifood
Each of these centers will host 1 senior woman researcher with at least 3 years of post-doctoral experience for a six-month fellowship. Applications will be subjected to a rigorous selection process, evaluating the academic merits and leadership of the applicants as well as the scientific quality and expected impact of their research projects. Selected candidates will receive training and integration in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly competitive working team, where they will be able to develop their research projects and acquire complementary skills, empowering them to transfer their research results into tangible economic and social benefits.
Eligibility and Criteria
Any person who meets the following requirements can apply:
- Being a woman
- Having the nationality of an African country
- Having a Ph.D. with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
- The current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above
- Excellent academic record and a proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research group
Beneficiaries of first, second and third editions of this program are not eligible.
When applying, candidates must have already identified research groups in the host centers to confirm that their proposed research can be carried out in collaboration with those research groups and, when needed, in their laboratories.
Awards and Benefits
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their center of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros (before taxes) per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses, and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
- Beneficiaries must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research center and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
- Beneficiaries might be asked to formalize their relationship with the research center in writing. In compliance with local laws, the Woman for Africa Foundation or the research center (as the case may be) will, if so required in each particular circumstance by the tax and/or social security regime, retain or withhold the compulsory amounts from the living allowances.
- Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research center, will help beneficiaries with the compulsory formalities in order to obtain the visa with Spanish Embassies and Consulates.
How To Apply
To apply please click here