The WISE Learners’ Voice Program brings the perspectives of young people to the challenge of rethinking education and equips them to take on leading roles in their fields and in the world of education. The Program is based on the idea that when learners are co-creators of their learning environments, they become active participants invested as stakeholders in the progress of their communities. The Program focuses on building knowledge of education, social entrepreneurship, leadership, and communication skills.
The Learners participate in the global biennial summit and in two intensive residential sessions delivered by expert faculty. These are supplemented by practical workshops and various online and on-site activities. In a key component of the Program, the learners form teams to conceive and design grass-roots projects that address critical education challenges. Selected projects, developed throughout the year, are presented at the following WISE Summit.
The Learners’ Voice Program was established in 2010 to engage the views and creative energies of young people in addressing pressing global education issues and challenges. The current Learners’ Voice community comprises over 100 Learners from many countries, including Qatar. They represent different backgrounds and disciplines but all share a passion for education. Together they represent a unique perspective within the WISE community.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Candidates must be aged 16-21 who are interested in engaging in the field of education.
- Candidates must have a valid travel document.
- Candidates must be willing and available to travel to Doha from 16-22 November 2019.
- Candidates should be proficient in spoken and written English and should be comfortable presenting and speaking in public.
- Candidates must be curious-minded, flexible and comfortable in multicultural environments.
- Candidates must demonstrate creativity and reflection in their creative submissions on the selected prompt.
- The candidate clearly demonstrates engagement in social issues and how s/he has sought to overcome them through innovative ideas, and initiatives.
- Candidates must secure approval from their schools/institutions to attend the program, and parents if under 18 years of age.
Awards and Benefits
You will benefit from :
- Pre-Summit Residential Session: Learners will participate in a 3-day interactive residential session in Doha to gain develop communication and problem-solving skills while gaining exposure to the field of education.
- WISE Summit: Learners will actively participate in the 2019 WISE Summit to share their views and opinions on the shaping the future of education to education stakeholders such as educators, policymakers, school leaders, parents among others.
- Creative Submission: Learners will also develop a creative piece on education, which will be shared with WISE community during the program to amplify their voices.
- WISE will cover all residential session and Summit related costs such as return flights, accommodation, and meals for all selected participants.
How To Apply
The Learners’ Voice recruitment process includes three steps:
Candidates must complete the online application form with accurate information through the portal here.
Candidates must also submit a short creative piece in the form of an essay, story, poem, film or any other creative medium in response to one of the eight prompts below:
- What does it mean to be “educated”?
- Teachers VS Technology – Is it the end of the teaching profession, as we know it?
- Design the school of tomorrow (this can include any aspect of the school, from the physical space to the curriculum, etc.)
- What would you change about your education experience?
- What does “global citizenship” mean to you?
- What values do you think are important to be reflected in your community (and how should they be taught in schools)?
- Is a university / college education necessary or even relevant today?
- Does your education prepare you for success in life?Written pieces should be at least 500 words or more.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview between June and September and the cohort will be announced in November.
Completed forms in English should be submitted through the online portal by 7 September 1300 GMT.
To apply please click here