The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) at the University of Gondar awards a total of 160 graduate scholarships in the coming eight years, starting from 2018/19. The scholarship will directly benefit academically talented but disadvantaged youth from five East African countries – Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea (refugees in camps located in Ethiopia), Djibouti and South Sudan. The Graduate Scholars Program is designed to help Scholars to acquire transformational and leadership skills and demonstrate high professional and scholarly competencies to effectively influence global, regional, national and local socioeconomic development trends. The Program is technically and financially supported by Mastercard Foundation and will avail excellent academic and nonacademic support to Scholars during their stay at University of Gondar.
The eligible programs are :
- Gender and development studies
- Development and environmental management studies
- Public health
The following resources provide more information about the University of Gondar, campus facilities, policies and university regulations. If you have any question or cannot find specific information, please contact us (website: www.uogqueensmcf.com; email: mcfsp.uog@gmail.
Housing and Accomodation
- Admission policy on housing – please read UoG’s policy for admission to University housing
- Cafeteria and lounges – the University of Gondar has student lounges and cafeteriasat each of its five campuses. Cafeterias are open three times a day to provide meals for students and most lounges are open for 18 hours each day to provide meals and beverages for students and staff,
Campuses and facilities
The University of Gondar has five campuses. The University has a number of facilities including:
- Banking services – The Commercial Bank of Ethiopia (CBE) has a full-service branch at the Tewodros campus. ATMs are located at:
- The main gate of the University, Maraki (Dashen Bank, United Bank and Commercial Bank of Ethiopia)
- The Atse Tewodros Campus near the Post Office (Commercial Bank)
- The College of Medicine and Health Sciences and Hospital complex (CBE (3) and United Bank (1))
- Library Services – the University has nine libraries that provide a wide range of library services, including computer laboratories, digital resources, training and support for students with disabilities.
- Information Communications Technology (ICT) facilities – the University provides technology support through a main office at the Atse Tewodros Campus and through offices in all faculties. There are several computer laboratories on campus, and students have access to free internet services through a username and password.
- Guidance and Counseling Services – the University provides guidance and counselling services for all students, as well as community support services. Contact the Dean of Student Affairs for more information.
- Center for Disability Studies – the Center for Disability Studies sponsors and coordinates research and services for students with disabilities and is connected to the Center for Community Based Rehabilitation.
- Center for Community Based Rehabilitation – the Centre for Community-Based Rehabilitation works to support the full integration of people with disabilities into their communities.
- Campus Security – Our Campus security team works to keep all staff, faculty and students safe while at the University.
Eligibility and Criteria
Graduate scholarships are open for Ethiopian applicants who intend to be a full-time student at the University of Gondar. Applicants with first degree from a recognized University and academically talented, disadvantaged based on the criteria of disability, socioeconomic status, and are not engaged at work at all or have been engaged at work but couldn’t able to cover their study expenses will be eligible for the scholarship. Specifically, to be eligible to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program’s graduate scholarship, applicants must meet the below listed criteria:
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to their proposed graduate program from recognized University using English as a medium of instruction in the past 5 years with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) at graduation;
- Be citizen and permanent resident of Ethiopia (and residents of Ethiopia for at least five years at the time of their application),
- Male applicants with disabilities
- Female applicants with economic difficulty
- Applicants currently enrolled in any graduate program at the time of application cannot apply for Mastercard Foundation scholarships
Graduate scholarships are open for Ethiopian applicants who intend to be a full-time student at the University of Gondar. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to their proposed graduate study from recognized University using English as a medium of instruction in the past 5 years;
- Earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) at the time of graduation;
- Be citizen and permanent resident of Ethiopia (and residents of Ethiopia for at least five years at the time of application);
- Male applicants with disabilities
- Female applicants with economic difficulty to finance graduate studies,
Awards and Benefits
- The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition, accommodation/boarding, a stipend and additional expenses such as books. The scholarship also includes academic, financial and social support to help awardees develop into capable leaders in their communities, and experiential activities such as summer camps.
The following expenses are not covered by the scholarship:
- Personal travel
- Family allowances
- Treatments for advanced medical or chronic conditions
How To Apply
To apply please click here