The British Council, and Prince Claus Fund for Culture and Development are issuing a Call for Proposals to support Mobility in and from Africa, specifically prioritizing young artists and cultural practitioners from a range of African countries. Through this joint collaboration, we wish to assists in the professional growth and networking possibilities of emerging practitioners from Africa.
The Mobility Fund is aimed at artists and cultural professionals from the following African countries, who are looking to strengthen their cultural practice:
Eligibility and Criteria
- Emerging artists and cultural practitioners are encouraged to apply (individuals or those representing independent cultural/artistic organisations);
- Priority is given to young artists between 18 and 35 years of age; Special attention is given to women artists and LGBTQI+ community related projects.
- Applications focusing on contemporary artistic and cultural disciplines including cultural capacity building are encouraged;
- Only applicants travelling from and holding passports of the following countries are eligible for funding: Botswana; Ethiopia; Ghana; Kenya; Malawi; Mauritius; Mozambique; Namibia; Nigeria; Rwanda; Senegal; Sierra Leone; South Africa; South Sudan; Sudan; Tanzania; Uganda; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
- Destinations eligible are limited to all countries listed in the DAC list;
- If you are disabled or have a physical or mental health condition that makes it difficult for you to travel (on your own) please let us know. In this case you may apply for an additional Access Grant. An Access Grant will contribute to the additional costs incurred as a result of your condition. Please ensure that you clearly state what your access needs are and include the additional costs in your budget requirement in section 3c of the application form. The size of the Access grant will be determined according to your requirements.
Awards and Benefits
- The grant amounts are determined based on general market rates depending on country of departure and destinations. The funding available is to be used for travel, visas, accommodation and general subsistence costs:
|Individual Grants (≤ 4 people)||Group Grants ( ≥ 5 people)|
|Within Africa||€ 1.500||€ 6.000|
|Africa to Asia||€ 2.500||€ 6.500|
|Africa to Latin America||€ 2.500||€ 6.500|
|Africa to the Caribbean||€ 2.500||€ 6.500|
|Africa to Eastern Europe||€ 2.000||€ 6.000|
- Applications must be received at least 8 weeks before the intended date of travel; applications sent in later can unfortunately not be considered.
- Successful grantees must request reimbursement maximum 4 weeks after the travel has taken place. Reimbursement is granted only after the travel takes place. Applicants that require a pre-payment of the mobility grant may request this. This request will be discussed case by case.
- Attendance at a meeting, festival, conference for the first time to expand professional networks;
- Attendance at capacity development training (e.g. workshops, talent development programmes)
- Participation in a local arts and culture scene followed by knowledge-sharing with local and/or international peers;
- Setting up new (experimental) cross-border partnerships for upcoming projects, particularly those in the preparation or development phase.
- Travels from- and applicants holding passports of countries that are NOT listed as eligible countries.
- Travel that commenced or took place before receiving our funding decision;
- Travel without at least one committed host organisation;
- Applications in which the traveller and/or host organisation will partake in activities that:
- focus only on the academic sector or represent traditional approaches to research and education (e.g. school/university exchanges, scholarships, research or education programmes firmly located within a traditional institution);
- are tourism related;
- are concerned with awards, auditions and competitions, summer camps, summer schools, and student exchanges;
- Applications in which the traveler and/or host organisation represents student bodies, commercial organisations, state institutions (such as governmental bodies), organisations focusing primarily on education, therapy or religion.
How To Apply
To apply please click here