While land degradation and deforestation date back millennia, industrialization and a rising population have dramatically accelerated the process. Today we are seeing unprecedented land degradation, and the loss of arable land at 30 to 35 times the historical rate. Currently, nearly two-thirds of Africa’s land is degraded, which hinders sustainable economic development and resilience to climate change. As a result, Africa has the largest restoration opportunity of any continent: more than 700 million hectares (1.7 billion acres) of degraded forest landscapes that can be restored. The potential benefits include improved food and water security, biodiversity protection, climate change resilience, and economic growth. Recognizing this opportunity, the African Union set an ambitious target to restore 100 million hectares of degraded land by 2030.
Land restoration is an urgent response to the poor management of land. Forest and landscape restoration is the process of reversing the degradation of soils, agricultural areas, forests, and watersheds thereby regaining their ecological functionality. According to the World Resources Institute, for every $1 invested in land restoration it can yield $7-$30 in benefits, and now is the time to prove it.
THE CHALLENGE: This challenge aims to find and award the best tech(-enabled) solutions in the land restoration and land degradation space. The challenge aims to find environmental, social and financial startups that are focusing on land restoration activities.
Eligibility and Criteria
- In a nutshell, a specific emphasis is laid on, but not limited to:
Finance the restoration of degraded land for production and/or conservation purposes Startup using big data and technology to reverse land degradation.
- The technology used to optimize resource efficiency, reduce impacts on ecosystems and lower carbon emissions.
- Water-Saving Soil Technologies Technologies focused on improving livelihoods and communities Planning, management and education tools for land restoration Agriculture (with a focus on precision conservation) and Agro-Forestry Clean Energy solutions that aid in the combat of land degradation.
Awards and Benefits
- We run 80+ local competitions where we identify the best seed-stage startups. In addition to having the top startups pitching, our events are filled with disruptive tech, inspirational discussions, networking sessions and one flight ticket for the winner to come to one of the Seedstars Regional Summits.
- we bring all Seedstars World local winners of each region, as well as speakers, investors, corporates, incubators, accelerators, governments, and relevant stakeholders to one city to build bridges between regional ecosystems and discuss regional challenges.
- Our competitions final happens in the Seedstars Summit in Switzerland, an exciting event filled with breakout sessions, panel discussions, specialized workshops and the best minds from emerging markets, where the regional winners compete to be crowned the Seedstars World Global Winner.
- The growth program is a three-month virtual acceleration program focused on growth and traction for 10-20 winners selected among the Regional Summit Winners.
- The program includes an investment of $50k of which $20k covers the program and the chance for follow-on funding.
How To Apply
To apply please click here