According to C40’s Deadline 2020 Report, the efforts of cities to tackle climate change over the next four years will be key to achieving the ambitions of the Paris Agreement. The most successful and prosperous cities of the future will be those that can transition to become green, sustainable and inclusive.
Women leaders played a critical role in negotiating the Paris Agreement and continue to drive ambitious climate action in cities, businesses, and NGOs around the world. Women make up more than half the world’s population and are often disproportionately impacted by climate change. Their leadership and participation are therefore critical in solving this global crisis. C40 will contribute to the emergence of the next generation of climate leaders by sharing knowledge and experiences through an ambitious mentorship program dedicated to women in C40 cities.
Eligibility and Criteria
The applications selection is based on two categories.
- Applicants with remarkable potential to be an influential future leader in climate change.
- Applicants with a proven track record of impact in tackling climate change in cities and/or bold visions for future work that will have a major impact on climate change in cities.
- The Women4Climate ADDIS ABABA Mentoring program is intended for women living in ADDIS ABABA.
- All participants in the Women4Climate ADDIS ABABA Mentoring Program will be expected to attend regular meetings and events in Addis Ababa.
- The Women4Climate initiative seeks to encourage diversity, and C40 will welcome applications from women from different backgrounds. Amongst the type of profiles C40 expects to apply are below, but the judging panel will consider applications from any walk of life:
- Researchers and scholars whose projects will revolutionize future lifestyles and help drastically reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Startup entrepreneurs developing civic/green/ urban tech projects in the climate area
- Volunteers and NGO activists working to tackle climate change by engaging
citizens in their cities or districts
- City officials and public sector professionals involved in local climate policies and local projects
- Business professionals involved in developing climate change solutions
- Citizens who wish to mobilize communities for a climate in their cities or districts
- For this application, there is no “standard profile” or “perfect profile”. Applicants will be selected based upon their potential, abilities, and ideas.
- Applicants to the Women4Climate ADDIS ABABA Mentoring Program must be willing to commit to the following:
- Participation in 10 months of activities
- To meet for a minimum of 2 hours per month (in person or by Skype)
- To attend in-person the first orientation meeting scheduled for October 2019
- To attend regular in-person sessions
- To attend online meetings.
- The judging panel is looking for evidence from candidates of an ongoing commitment to climate action in cities and innovative projects or approaches. If you have a climate change project that you are currently working on or an idea for a future project that you hope to launch or progress with the support of the Women4Climate Mentorship Program, please include details in your application.
Awards and Benefits
Each woman selected for the program will:
- Receive mentoring over a period of about 10 months.
- Engage in collective sessions with other mentees and mentors
- Receive training that enhances communication and advocacy skills in order to build the mentee’s ability to be more influential.
- Currently, there are mentoring programs running in: Paris, Mexico City, Quito, Tel Aviv, Montreal, London, Barcelona, and Vancouver, with several running their second and third edition.
- ADDIS ABABA is proud to be the next city to launch a Women4Climate Mentorship Program as part of the C40 network.
- The aim of the Freetown mentorship program is to support emerging women leaders across multiple sectors to become expert influencers and take positive actions to tackle the root causes of climate change in our city.
- The program aims to provide participants with the support they need to become even more effective leaders in their chosen field, including politics, business, public service, NGOs and media.
- Addis Ababa’s C40 Women4Climate Mentoring program will create links with mayors, committed leaders from the business sector, public sector, international organizations and communities with emerging women leaders.
- The mentors will share their knowledge and experiences, supporting women to become influencers in the area of climate change.
- The C40 Women4Climate Mentorship Program will match committed leaders from C40 cities, from across the business sector, public sector, international organizations and civil society with emerging women leaders.
How To Apply
To apply please click here