The African Drone and Data Academy (ADDA) is a new UNICEF-sponsored academy operated in partnership by the Malawi University of Science and Technology (MUST) and Virginia Tech (Virginia, U.S.A.). Located in Lilongwe, Malawi, the academy is currently seeking qualified applicants for a 10-week certificate of drone technology (CDT) program that will cover aircraft fundamentals, operations, regulations and data analytics based on drone data products. Graduates of the program will be licensed drone pilots under the Malawi government, and will possess valuable skills to enter the drone workforce.
The Certificate of Drone Technology (CDT) is a 10-week, VT certificate course in drone technology, logistics and data analysis. Students will earn a Trusted Operator Program (TOP) Level 2 certificate which is an internationally recognized certification but also can be converted into a Malawi remote pilot license (RPL). Level 2 recognizes the pilot’s ability to master flight and maintain a quality assurance program in commercial operations.
The Remote Pilot License (RPL) is a 1-week, certificate course in drone technology and airlaw principles. Students will earn a Trusted Operator Program (TOP) Level 1 certificate which is an internationally recognized certification and a Malawi remote pilot license (RPL) or equivalent.
Eligibility and Criteria
- African Country Citizenship
- Be between 18-24 years of age
- Be able to read, speak, and understand the English language
- Bachelors Degree or Significant STEM Experience
Awards and Benefits
- Students will learn about aircraft and systems design, aerodynamics, propulsion, communications, flight operations, imaging products, data processing, data analysis, and presentations and reports.
- Three different aircraft’s will be fabricated and operated by students.
- A feature of this competitive program is that program costs including tuition, transportation, meals, and accommodation will be covered.
- Candidates that successfully pass the practical and knowledge tests will receive a Virginia Tech Certificate of Drone Technology (CDT) and a Trusted Operator Program (TOP) level 2 certificate issued by Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI).
How To Apply
To apply please click here