The next call of the Future Food Initiative is now open. The Future Food Fellowship is a postdoctoral program for exceptionally qualified young researchers who propose projects targeting future food issues, such as nutrition, production, packaging and digital health. The fellowship provides personal research funds for three years, enabling fellows to work on their projects and collaborate with Swiss industry partners.
The Future Food Fellowship is a postdoctoral programme of ETH Zurich and EPFL for exceptionally qualified young researchers who propose projects targeting future food issues such as nutrition, production, packaging and health. The fellowship provides research funds for three years, enabling fellows to work on their projects and collaborate with Swiss industry partners.
Although the call is open to any outstanding proposal, following topics are prioritised in 2020:
- Plant-based proteins
- Digital technologies for food design
- Sustainable packaging
Eligibility and Criteria
The following eligibility criteria must be fulfilled:
- Citizens of any nationality may apply; there are no restrictions concerning age.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate (PhD) and must have obtained their doctoral degree at maximum three years before the submission deadline. The latest possible date for a successful defence of the PhD is 30 September succeeding the interview date.
- Applicants must not have been affiliated for studies, research, employment or other activities (with or without payment) at either ETH Zurich or EPFL during the 12 months that immediately precede the submission deadline.
- Applications will not be forwarded for evaluation if applicants already hold or have held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor) in a higher education institution in Switzerland or abroad.
- Applications and supporting documentation must be written in English.
- The prospective research project must also comply with the applicable ethics regulations and adhere to the principles of research integrity valid at the host institution (ETH Zurich or EPFL). Relevant ethical, legal and social considerations should be included in the proposal.
Awards and Benefits
- The fellowship is awarded in the form of a three-year research contract. At the end of the second year, a review is conducted to evaluate the project, its continued originality and the productivity of the fellow.
- During the three years, fellows are encouraged to seek faculty or industry positions. Success in doing so will not necessarily result in termination of the fellowship – the decision will be made by the Decision Board on the recommendation of the Evaluation Board.
- The programme aims to award ten fellowships each year. However, available funds will only be exhausted if the quality standards of the programme are fulfilled.
- The maximum duration of funding for each postdoctoral fellowship is three years. The funding will be granted to cover the fellow’s salary in accordance with the host institution’s standard conditions plus a yearly contribution for project costs.
How To Apply
To apply please click here