The International Tech Hub Network’s Go Global Africa returns in 2020, following the success of the inaugural network-wide programme last year. Some of the most innovative startups working in Fin-tech, AgriTech, Health-tech and Clean Energy from across Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa will be invited to join in-country masterclasses as well as a UK programme.
Go Global Africa aims to give the entrepreneurs from Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa who have developed products that are ready to go to market and raised investment the tools they need to grow their business globally, build links with the UK’s thriving digital sector and pave the way for future economic partnerships.
The 15 most promising startups, as determined by in-country pitch events, will come to the UK in March 2020. Here, they will benefit from a 5-day training programme designed to improve business skills and capability, build links with the UK’s thriving tech sector, and work with UK expertise to grow their business.
Eligibility and Criteria
Applications are open to tech startups from Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Work in one of the following four verticals: AgriTech, FinTech, HealthTech or Clean Energy
- Post-MVP stage, fully operating in market.
- Can demonstrate a clear business model with evidence of customer traction
- Looking to raise their first round of funding
- Can demonstrate clear social impact potential
- Can demonstrate commitment to strengthen the local ecosystem by passing on learnings to other startups
- Ambition to expand internationally in the future
Awards and Benefits
- Flights, accommodation and meals for both the in-country masterclass and the UK programme will be covered by the International Tech Hub Network.
- The Network will support and pay for your visa, although it is the participant’s responsibility to organise the application with sufficient time
- The successful African startups will be expected to act as Go Global champions and share the skills they have learned with other firms across the continent. This will help spread digital skills, digital capability and increase entrepreneurial spirit, creating jobs and prosperity.
- Go Global Africa is part of the UK Government’s Prosperity Fund Digital Access Programme led by the Department for International Development and is delivered in partnership with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport to help boost digital.
- The Digital Access Programme aims to boost digital skills and connectivity for people in the local community and build the cybersecurity capacity of partner countries.
- It will also help create a thriving digital ecosystem that will stimulate innovations to address local development challenges and create local skilled jobs and generate partnerships between the UK and Africa.
- The scheme will help firms in the host country make links with UK startups in new markets and benefit from the expertise in our booming tech ecosystem worth £184 billion to the economy every year.
How To Apply
To apply please click here