The Women4Climate Tech Challenge is an international contest open to women carrying out an innovative tech solution for climate action in cities. Complementary to the Women4Climate Mentorship Programme, the Tech Challenge is open to all C40 Cities and promotes concrete solutions with a measurable impact. The key goal of the Tech Challenge is to promote, experiment, and implement women-led climate innovation in C40 cities. It provides the winners with support and acceleration from C40 & partners; and the opportunity to pilot solutions in C40 cities.
City-inspired innovation is crucial to accelerate the reduction of green-house emissions in cities but to achieve gender-inclusive climate action we need more women bringing their perspectives and experiences into decision-making processes and participating in the ideation, conception, experimentation and implementation of innovation. Without this, we will build a future that lacks the perspectives and experiences of half the world’s population.
Eligibility and Criteria
- We are women, we are mayors, we are entrepreneurs, we are innovators, we are students, we are scientists, we are activists. We are dreamers and doers. We are the makers of tomorrow.
- We care deeply about our planet and its citizens, and we are committed to taking action today that will leave a better world for generations to come.
- When we join our voices together, we are unstoppable. We are powerful. We are Women4Climate.
- Women make up more than half the world’s population, and although they are often disproportionately impacted by climate change, their voices are not always heard due to lack of inclusion and representation at the decision-making level.
- Women leaders played a pivotal role in negotiating the Paris Agreement on climate change in 2015, and will be crucial to its success in the future. Now more than ever, enhancing women’s participation and leadership will be critical to securing a healthy, prosperous and sustainable future for us all.
Awards and Benefits
Through the Women4Climate initiative, C40 aims to:
- empower and inspire the next generation of climate leaders through a global mentorship program dedicated to women in C40 cities;
- influence the conversation through leadership events and create new momentum and interest among future leaders;
- and raise awareness through research on gender, cities and climate to highlight the key role women play in championing climate action in cities.
- The C40 Women4Climate Mentorship Programme matches mayors, city officials, and committed leaders from the business sector, international organizations and civil society with emerging women leaders.
- Mentors share their knowledge and experiences, supporting the mentees to become powerful leaders in their chosen field, including politics, NGOs, business, media, and community groups.
- Since the launch of the Women4Climate initiative in 2017, there is a growing number of cities that have launched or will soon launch their own Women4Climate Mentorship Programme in order to empower the next generation of climate leaders.
How To Apply
To apply please click here