The Flemish Ministry of Education awards scholarships to outstanding students for Master programmes in Flanders and Brussels. The programme aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a top study destination. Applications will be accepted from all Flemish universities, Schools of Arts and the Antwerp Maritime Academy. The total budget available for the Master Mind Scholarships programme 2020-2021 is €400.000. It is estimated that 30 international students can benefit from the Master Mind Scholarships.
Eligibility and Criteria
- The applicant applies to take up a Master degree programme at a higher education institution in Flanders (hereafter ‘Host institution’).
• The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential:
- The student has a Grade Point Average of 3.5 out of 4.0: https://www.foreigncredits.com/resources/gpa-calculator/
- The student has a good knowledge of the English language:an overall band score of minimum 7.0 on the IELTS test a minimum total score of 94 on a TOEFL test;
- A C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference; or a similar result in another official language test (recognized by the Host institution).
- Students who apply for a Master programme at a School of Arts have at least:an overall band score of minimum 6.5 on the IELTS test; a minimum total score of 90 on the TOEFL test; a B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
o or a similar result in another official English language test (recognized by the Host institution).
• The Host institution also performs an academic check of the student’s file. The student has to be accepted by the Host institution to be able to receive the scholarship. Even if the Host institution’s decision to accept the student is taken after the selection of the Master Mind Scholarships programme, this criterion applies.
• All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders. International students who have been on credit mobility in a hosting Flemish higher education institution are still eligible for a Master Mind Scholarship.
• Students who are already enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution cannot apply. The only exception is made for international students who, at the moment of their application.
Awards and Benefits
- The duration of mobility is one academic year for a Master programme of 60 ECTS and two academic years for a master programme of 120 ECTS.
• The incoming student is awarded a maximum scholarship of €8.000 per academic year according to the modalities mentioned in the appendix Payment of the scholarship.
• The Host institution can ask the applicant for a tuition fee that equals the lowest rate of the yearly tuition fee for a student who receives a study grant from the Flemish Government. The rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is €111,9. This rate may increase slightly from year to year.
• There are a number of scholarships reserved for students from certain countries: Japan (3), Mexico (3), Palestine (2) and USA (5). These countries are priority countries for the Flemish government. If these numbers of scholarships are not taken up, they will be awarded according to the ranking of the candidates as decided by the Flemish Selection committee.
• Students should not combine this scholarship with another scholarship from the Flemish Governement or an Erasmus Mundus scholarship.
• Upon completion of the mobility all students are expected to submit an essay for which a format is provided and to fill in a short questionnaire about their mobility.
• A maximum of 20 applications can be submitted per Flemish higher education institution.
How To Apply
To apply please click here