The Asia-Pacific Centre of Education for International Understanding (APCEIU) will organize the 6th Youth Leadership Workshop on GCED (Global Citizenship Education) from 25 to 31 May 2020. The one-week Workshop aims to build capacity of dynamic youth leaders around the world to identify strategies to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), specifically Target 4.7. While enabling participants to deepen their understanding of GCED, the Workshop allows the young leaders to play a major role and become part of a wider network of youth leaders for GCED. GCED aims to be transformative, equipping learners of all ages with the values, knowledge and skills that reflect and instill respect for human rights, social justice, diversity, gender equality and sustainability. As transformative education, GCED should enable learners to think critically, being conscious of the complex real-life issues and analyzing them, examine one’s own values and
perspectives, behave responsibly, and most importantly respond to challenges they face and bring changes for better. These can be achieved only through learners’ real life experiences, which are expanded from the learning they gain in the classroom. In that sense, connecting formal education and in(non)-formal education is very much needed in any society.
Youth are essential actors in making changes not only as learners, but also as leaders, advocates, and educators. In many communities, young people serve as driving force in promoting global citizenship as well as putting them into practice, particularly through various educational activities beyond the walls of classroom. Youth-led initiatives have brought meaningful transformation around the world, inviting numerous young men and women to take part in actions for change. Therefore, youth should be recognized as important leaders and educators who can effectively connect school and society
Eligibility and Criteria
- During the Workshop, participants will be given directions of GCED.
- Working both individually and in groups will identify specific priority issues around global citizenship and establish plans for the future operations, the young leaders will devise the goals and strategies for use at local and national levels.
- Participants will learn about specific areas such as GCED, human rights, and peace building through information sessions and engage in dialogue and debates on the evolving issues.
- As part of the Workshop, participants will also make a field visit to discuss the role of youth for a more peaceful and sustainable future.
Awards and Benefits
- The Youth Leadership Workshop is taught in English so applicants must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- APCEIU will provide accommodation, meals, and local transportation for all participants during the workshop.
- APCEIU will also cover the round-trip international airfare to and from Seoul, Korea. However, participants are responsible for domestic travel expenses to and from international airport in their countries and Korean visa application fees.
- The insurance in case of accidents during the workshop period in Korea will be covered by APCEIU. However, for any other purposes such as visiting hospitals for personal reason etc., the cost should be covered individually.
- You have to complete the e-learning course with passing grades. Other than that, your application will not be considered during the selection process.
- You need a valid passport to visit the Republic of Korea to participate in the Youth Leadership Workshop, but you do not need to have the Passport at the point of application. You may or may not need a Visa according to your citizenship. Please visit the official site of Korea Visa Portal for further information: https://www.visa.go.kr/ [General Guide ? Visa Navigator (Purpose of Entry: Short Term Visit / Length of Stay: 90 days or less)]
- We offer certificates of completion at the end of the workshop only if you have attended more than 95% of the workshop programme.
- Rescheduling flights and extending trips are not allowed for all workshop participants.
How To Apply
To apply please click here