The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications (AKU-GSMC), in partnership with Facebook, is excited to introduce The Mobile Video Journalism Fellowship –an initiative that aims to bolster digital skills in journalism to increase the production of Kenyan stories captured through high-quality mobile video. Do you have an eye for a good story? Are you a tech-savvy smartphone user? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment? Are you interested in using mobile journalism to shape the future of media in East Africa? This fellowship program is designed to train qualified storytellers on digital mobile journalism and attach them to local Kenyan newsrooms over a six month period.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Selected fellows must be available to work full-time in Nairobi, Kenya during the months of March 2020 through August 2020.
- Candidates should be 21 years of age and older.
- This fellowship pays a monthly gross stipend (beginning in March 2020) of USD $600 provided by The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications. Note that the fellowship will end in August, 2020 and stipends will not be paid after this date.
- All applications must be submitted using the form below. Incomplete applications, applications received after the deadline, or applications sent through another method will not be considered.
Awards and Benefits
- Selected fellows will be placed as staff (paid by stipend) with Kenyan media houses where they will use smartphones to tell their stories.
- They will be tasked with conducting hands-on investigative journalism and creating relevant digital content.
- Additionally, fellows will be required to participate in various boot camps and workshops on selected weekends. This experience is designed to improve your skills in storytelling with data, mobile editing, and mobile journalism.
- While formal education is not a prerequisite for selection, the applicant must demonstrate knowledge or experience in journalism, media, communications, video production or related field(s).
- This fellowship is intended to equip storytellers with mobile journalism skills, and promote the use of digital mobile journalism to share their content.
- We are looking for applicants who have displayed some experience in video journalism whether formal, informal, freelance, or contract. Please review the content on the links below for examples of the types of video journalism stories we are interested in supporting:
Example 1 – Hashtag our stories: Journalism in Action
Example 3 – AJ Plus on Nigerian Oil: Nigerian Oil and the Disappearing Money | Start Here
Example 4 – UN Hashtag: Water Filters Help Refugees From Myanmar. By Hashtag Our Stories #ACT4SDGs
How To Apply
To apply please click here