The WVL-SA Fund offers three types of Grants. Please download the Word documents and fill them in first. You will find these under each Call.
- Multi Year Core Funding – four year grants of R500,000 – R1 million reviewed annually for organisations in Gauteng, Limpopo, Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal with an annual income of less than R 1 million.
- Networking and Alliance Building – four year grants of R500,000 – R1.3 million reviewed annually for organisations anywhere in South Africa that build networks and alliances.
- Rapid Response Grants of three months to one year of R20,000 to R50,000 for an urgent, catalytic need.
- For each grant, you must first fill out the eligibility form to see if you are eligible for the grant. You can find this under each grant call.
- If you are eligible, you will receive a link for the Concept Note for the Multi Year Core (MY Core) Funding, and the Networking and Alliance Building. In the case of the Rapid Response you will receive a link for the Full Application, as this is a one stage process.
- We strongly recommend that you download the WORD versions of Concept Notes and Full Applications and complete these offline first, and then simply copy across to the Online Platform once completed.
- If you are successful at concept note stage for the MY Core and Networking and Alliance Building, you will receive a link for the full application.
- All grants are subject to due diligence before the award is made.
Eligibility and Criteria
General Eligibility Criteria:
The following types of entities, subject to having legal standing for operating in South Africa, and to having reasonable and relevant experience, are eligible to apply for WVL Grants;
- Women’s movement-networks/coalitions/alliances at both national and local levels.
- Women’s organisations at both national and local levels.
- Women’s groups based in local communities (Community Based Organisations).
- Community leaders (activists and organisers) at both national and local levels with reasonable experience and proven track record.
*NB: Dual funding is not permitted for the same activity and programme.
- Individuals representing personal interest that does not benefit the greater community.
- Political parties.
- Government institutions.
- Faith-based organisations whose objectives are discriminatory and/or serve religious purposes, and/or whose main objective of the grant is of a religious nature.
Include, but are not limited to WROs working to promote women’s and girl empowerment in following areas Constitutional and Legal Rights, Governance, Education, Economic Justice, GBV, SRHR, Health, HIV and AIDS, Media and Climate Change.
Activities and costs that are ineligible for grant funding include, but are not limited to;
- Creation of endowments (Note: financing of loan portfolios is not an endowment).
- Any previous obligations by Gender Links to the beneficiary.
- Bad debts of the Grantee.
- Fines imposed on the Grantee.
- Penalties imposed on the Grantee.
- Any expenses related to ceremonies, parties, and celebrations.
- Purchase of any goods restricted and prohibited under Gender Links regulations such as alcoholic beverages.
- Purchase of surveillance equipment, military equipment or arms whether new or surplus, police or law enforcement equipment, abortion equipment and services, weather modification equipment, luxury goods and gambling equipment.
- Purchase of goods from prohibited sources.
- Expenses related to purchases or activities which are illegal under South African law.
- Promotion of political parties, religion, or commercial interests.
- Payments made to government employees.
Awards and Benefits
Eligible activities include, but are not limited to WROs working to promote women’s and girl empowerment in following areas:
- Constitutional and Legal Rights, Governance, Education, Economic Justice, GBV, SRHR, Health, HIV and AIDS, Media and Climate Change.
- Any organisation that meets the general eligibility criteria; works in Gauteng, KZN; Limpopo or Western Cape and has an annual income of less than R1 million.
- R500,000.00 – R1,000,000.00
- Four years (renewable annually subject to Grantee’s performance)
- Any organisation that meets the general eligibility criteria and is involved in Network or Alliance building.
- R500,000.00 – R1,300,000.00
- Four years (renewable annually subject to Grantee’s performance)Rapid Response GrantsAny organisation that meets the general eligibility criteria and can demonstrate an urgent catalytic need for funds.R20,000.00 – R50,000.00Three months to one year
- Any organisation that meets the general eligibility criteria and can demonstrate an urgent catalytic need for funds.
- R20,000.00 – R50,000.00
- Three months to one year.
How To Apply
To apply please click here