Apply now for this once in a lifetime opportunity. British Petroleum and AFS have partnered to host the BP Global STEM Academies, four-week programs in Brazil, Egypt, India, and the USA focusing on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and global competence education. Scholarship winners will enrich their STEM knowledge and skills through interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies, including problem solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and the ability to build bridges across cultures. The program culminates with team projects and presentations that offer potential solutions to real world challenges, with an emphasis on climate change and the energy transition.
BP and AFS have partnered to develop the BP Global STEM Academies and BP has provided funding for 110 full scholarships. Why? Global competencies and STEM education are critical for student success in today’s global economy. The goal of these scholarships is to provide this study abroad opportunity to students from diverse backgrounds and in need of financial support.
Eligibility and Criteria
For the 2020 BP Global STEM Academies, AFS is identifying and selecting scholarship recipients from Brazil, China, Egypt, Germany, Ghana, India, Mexico, South Africa and the USA.
- This scholarship is ideal for, but not limited to, students with demonstrated strengths in academics, but particularly an interest in science, technology, engineering, math and other fields important to the energy industry, as well as an interest to study abroad and meet other cultures.
- Strong candidates will be ready to fully immerse themselves in the academic and intercultural learning experience for the duration of the program.
- Must be born between December 1, 2002 and June 1, 2005
- The ability to participate fully in a classroom and program conducted entirely in English
- Demonstrated interest in STEM, study abroad and interacting with different cultures
- Willingness to attend all four Academy destinations – Brazil, Egypt, India or the USA
- Ability and willingness to travel unaccompanied abroad
- Interested in exploring new cultures
Talented young people from all backgrounds who reflect the diversity of populations around the world, particularly young women and students with financial need, are encouraged to apply!
Awards and Benefits
- If you are dreaming about becoming a game developer, coder, engineer, or future innovator, a STEM-focused program is a great opportunity! Get the critical skills you need, while engaging with people from around the world and exploring a new and exciting culture.
- Perform science experiments creating extraordinary discoveries.
- Learn technology with cutting-edge designs we can’t live without.
- Learn how to come up with Engineering and brightest ideas that set the world in motion.
- Learn mathematics in Einstein’s words, the poetry of logical ideas.
- Your scholarship covers the AFS program fee, domestic and international airfares, your visa (if necessary), government fees to obtain a passport (if needed), and all program costs, including meals and housing.
Expenses not covered by the scholarship include, but are not limited, to:
- Vaccinations, immunizations, and other disease-preventing medications (i.e. malaria)
- Travel expenses to the regional consulate to obtain a visa and to your initial point of departure
- Additional spending money
- Checked luggage fees
How To Apply
To apply please click here