“A Letter from Myself in 2030”
Imagine what an ideal world ten years from now would be like. Write a letter from yourself in 2030 to your present (2020) self, in which you describe the state of the world, the way people are living, and what you, yourself, are doing in society. In addition, include any important message that you might wish to tell your present self.
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2020) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating (1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2020 (4) gender (5) nationality (6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable)
(10) your essay title (11) language (12) word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Only one entry per person is accepted.
- A cover page template is available to download. You may also create your own cover page with all items (1)-(12) above.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- All nationalities can participate from anywhere in the world.
- Essay must be 700 words or less in order to qualify. However, the cover page and essay title are excluded from the word count.
Awards and Benefits
- 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan in November 2020 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given
- All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2020 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2020.
- We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
How To Apply
To apply please click here