The Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V. (IASS) is an international, inter- and trans disciplinary research institute located in Potsdam. Prof. Dr Klaus Töpfer is the Founding Director of the IASS. The main purpose of the institute is to integrate different types of knowledge needed to support a transformation of society towards sustainability by conducting scientific research particularly
in the areas of air quality and climate change, energy transitions, governance for sustainable development, and others.
With a wealth of experience in science, politics and the non-profit sector, Klaus Töpfer embodies the unique combination of perspectives required to realise the vision of the IASS. With its Klaus Töpfer Sustainability Fellowship, the IASS wants to support individuals who, like Klaus Töpfer, are
committed to sustainable development and build bridges between science, politics and
Eligibility and Criteria
- The IASS is thus seeking applications from highly talented young early to mid-career professionals from Germany or abroad who have worked for at least ten years on sustainability issues and have the potential to serve as change agents towards sustainable development.
- The applicant should bring innovative ideas from his or her respective fields in science, the arts, civil society, business, politics or other areas of society and work experience across different countries and cultures.
- A letter of motivation: Please mention any prior experience at the interface of science and
another sector of society (such as politics, business, the arts, media, etc.).
• A current CV, which should not exceed four pages, outlining your career path and most
important achievements. In terms of lists, please limit this to the five most important items
(e.g., five most important publications).
• A proposal outlining the activities to be conducted during the time as Klaus Töpfer Sustainability Fellow. The proposal should be no longer than ten pages (excluding references).
• At least one letter of recommendation. The letter of recommendation should include biographical information and contact details of the person recommending.
Awards and Benefits
- Klaus Töpfer Fellowships are awarded for one year. Fellows are expected to be physically present at the IASS during their stay and actively contribute to the work of the institute, for example by holding seminars and participating in other IASS activities.
- Fellows receive a financial compensation intended
to cover their additional living costs during their stay in Germany.
- The exact amount depends on the particular situation of the successful applicant and will be decided on an individual basis.
- In addition,the IASS can also provide resources to cover travel expenses, publication fees, support for organizing workshops, production costs for artistic work, etc.
How To Apply
To apply please click here