The purpose of the African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is to provide opportunities for postdoctoral researchers based in Africa to work and develop their ongoing research at the Nordic Africa Institute. The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute aims to contribute to building capacity in the production of knowledge about Africa, and to promote and establish relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
Eligibility and Criteria
- The scholarship programme is directed at postdoctoral researchers based in Africa and engaged in Africa-oriented research within the disciplines of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- The applicant should be affiliated to an African university/research center and have a proven track record of extensive research experience.
- The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Furthermore, Guest Researchers have access to the Uppsala University Library and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
Awards and Benefits
- The maximum duration of the stay is 90 days, minimum is 60 days.
- Also note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants can thus not choose these periods for their visit.
- The scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (approx. 42 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 260 USD) and access to a workspace, including a desk computer, in a shared office at the Institute.
- Please note that the subsistence allowance will be provided only for the days spent in Uppsala.
- The Institute strives to achieve a fair distribution of scholarship positions in regards to gender and geographic focus.
How To Apply
To apply please click here