The EEP Africa Innovation Window is launching an open, competitive Call for Proposals with the theme: Clean Energy Powering Green Growth, with a particular focus on clean energy for productive use and clean energy in circular economy solutions.
Project developers are invited to submit applications for early stage off-grid and on-grid clean energy projects in active development phase in Southern and East Africa. Projects will be evaluated based on Concept Innovation, Development Impact, and Business Model & Financial Sustainability. All applications need to demonstrate a clear need and additionality for EEP Africa financing.
EEP Africa invites innovative project developers to submit applications for early stage clean energy projects in active development phase in Southern and East Africa. Projects will be evaluated based on Concept Innovation, Development Impact, and Business Model & Financial Sustainability. All applications need to demonstrate a clear need and additionality for EEP Africa financing. Eligible applicants are invited to submit Concept Notes via EEP Africa’s online application form.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Companies, start-ups and social enterprises with early-stage projects in one or more of the EEP Africa target countries are welcome to apply.
- Applications from women entrepreneurs and women-led companies are strongly encouraged. All applicants must meet the eligibility criteria defined in the Application Guidelines.
- This call targets proposals with innovative business models that utilize clean energy for productive use and create clean energy solutions in circular economy increasing economic activity and creating jobs.
- Biofuels liquid, Biogas, Cookstoves, Energy efficiency, Geothermal, Hydrophone, Solar PV, Solar thermal, Solid biomass, Waste to energy, Wind power, other RE/EE technology or a combination of the previous, including energy storage projects.
- Concept Innovation
• Development Impact
• Business Model and Financial
- Feasibility Studies or Pilot, Demonstration, Replication, or Scale-up Projects.
- Eligible countries are: Botswana, Burundi, Eswatini, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Awards and Benefits
- Applicants can apply for grants and repayable grants between EUR 200,000 —500,000.
- The minimum required co-financing is 30% of the total project budget. Projects with a focus on the preparation of feasibility studies for an on-grid and/or utility scale development, which is approaching a clearly definable financial close, are considered for repayable grants.
- All other projects are eligible for grant financing.
- Grant EUR 200,000 – 500,000 (minimum co-financing 30%)
- Repayable grant EUR 200,000 – 500,000 considered only for on-grid/utility-scale feasibility studies (minimum co-financing
30%); repayable at financial close
EEP Africa follows a competitive, two-stage application process. In the first stage, all eligible applicants are invited to submit a Concept Note. In the second stage, shortlisted applicants will be invited to submit a Full Proposal.
Additional timeline information on the Full Proposal process will be shared with selected candidates.
- 28 January 2020: Call for Proposal opens
- 10 March 13:00 (Helsinki time, GMT +3): Application deadline
- May 2020: Communication to shortlisted applicants
- May – June 2020: Full Proposal submission
- September 2020: Final decision
- October – December 2020: Contracting period
- 2021-2023: Project implementation (max 24 months)
How To Apply
To apply please click here
Please carefully read the Application Guidelines before beginning the application process. The guidelines and other documents listed below provide detailed information on eligibility and evaluation criteria.
- Application Guidelines: Call for Proposals 2020 (PDF)
- NDF Environmental & Social Policy and Guidelines 2017 (PDF)
- NDF Policy on Anticorruption and Integrity (PDF)
- Administrative Manual for Project Implementation 2020 (PDF)
- 2020 Call for Proposals – Concept Note Questions (PDF)
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
All applications are to be submitted through an online Concept Note form in the EEP Portal. All applicants must register for the application process and use of the online application tool. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Instructions for using the EEP Portal can be found in the Application Guidelines. During the call, you can continue/edit your application by signing in with the same account. Once you have fully completed your application (Concept Note), submit it to EEP Africa by pressing ‘Submit’. After submission changes to the Concept Note are no longer possible.