55% of the world’s population lives in urban areas, a proportion that is expected to increase to 70% by 2050. Cities account for just 2% of global land area but are responsible for 70% of greenhouse gas emissions. Furthermore, as much as 80% of adaptation costs are expected to be borne in urban areas.
Eligibility and Criteria
- MINIMAL VIABLE PRODUCT STAGE
Solutions can be goods, services (e.g. financial instruments, risk management mechanisms), technological solutions, or innovative business models that can be applied in one of the urban focus areas defined above.
Potential for climate change mitigation or adaptation
Clear value proposition, actionable business model, preliminary market analysis, draft implementation plan
- IMPLEMENTABLE Potential to achieve market viability and deployment capacity
- SCALABLE Potential to be scaled-up or replicated in other contexts
Awards and Benefits
- Supporting climate-smart cities – those that are low-carbon and climate resilient – is a critical part of addressing climate change.
- Becoming a climate smart city requires an integrated approach combining planning, policy, regulation, and investment.
- Engaging startups and entrepreneurs, the competition aims to create a space for innovation.
- This year’s competition seeks startups with well-defined innovative climate-smart solutions supporting cities in reducing their emissions and/or increasing their resilience to climate impacts.
- Finalists will be invited to attend and pitch at the Innovate4Climate conference in Barcelona on May 26, 2020, travel and accommodation paid. Here you will network with the most innovative people in the climate solution space and connect with industry leaders who are looking to invest and help scale ideas that promote climate-smart urban solutions across various industries.
- I4C is searching for innovative, implementable, and scalable solutions to address climate challenges.
How To Apply
To apply please click here