Our accelerator programs aim to back impact entrepreneurs – or as we like to call them ‘local leaders’ –who have solutions to local problems in some of the world’s toughest communities. Rather than imposing our perceived solutions on a foreign community, we support these local leaders who live there and have developed their own. Meaning our role is simply help refine and scale their solutions.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Entrepreneur: We believe the best solutions to poverty are entrepreneurial, so we focus on early stage ventures that exist to improve access to education or healthcare, create jobs or build safer homes.
- Local: You’re a local of the area who intimately understands the problems that you are trying to solve.
- Early Stage: You will have already launched a venture or run a pilot and have some early traction or proof of concept. You will typically have less than 10 customers or clients and have been in operation less than two years.
- Ventures that are improving lives: At the end of the day, we exist to improve the lives of people living in poverty. If you believe your venture is improving the lives of people living in poverty, we encourage you to apply.
- If you’re a founder of an early stage venture aimed at improving the lives of people living in tough conditions , we want to hear from you! If you don’t hit all of these criteria perfectly, we still encourage you to apply as you may still be considered!
Awards and Benefits
- ygap finds, accelerates, supports and grows early stage ventures run by local leaders with solutions to poverty in their communities through its accelerator program.
- This means an impact entrepreneur is running a venture that creates jobs, builds better homes or improves access to education or healthcare services for people living in poverty.
- We start by finding the best local leaders running early stage ventures addressing one or more major root causes of poverty. We cast our net far and wide, reaching out to discover untapped potential. We receive hundreds of applications for each intake and select a group of the most promising ventures to enter the accelerate phase.
- The startups we select go through a one week live-in accelerator where their business models are strengthened and they are equipped with the tools they need to turn their startups into viable ventures.
- After the accelerator we provide strategy and business mentorship, marketing support, legal and accounting help and access to small grants.
- The most impactful ygap entrepreneurs will move into growth, where they access larger support and funding to grow their ventures.
How To Apply
To apply please click here