Global warming is forcing our societies, our economies and our world to change. Our ways of doing business, our careers and our job opportunities need to change, too.
With this change comes an unprecedented opportunity for brave entrepreneurs and trend-setting role models to take action, to carve their place in a new and greener economy, to pioneer revolutionary technology and radical innovations, and to lead a new wave of green careers.
In 2020, seven young people – selected from every global region – will be named Young Champions of the Earth. These winners receive seed funding, intensive training and tailored mentoring to bring their big environmental ideas to life. We’re looking for artists, scientists, economists, communicators and entrepreneurs from all walks of life who have big, bold ideas – for the environment, for humanity, for a greener future.
Shortlisted finalists from every region will be selected following an open call for applications. A Global Jury will then choose seven winners. Each winner is expected to implement their big idea and keep UNEP updated on their progress by producing videos and blogs that we will share on our website. Winners will also be given funding to support their communication efforts throughout the year, so that they can produce high-quality materials to share with our audiences.
Eligibility and Criteria
Young Champions of the Earth aims to celebrate and support individuals aged between 18 and 30 who have outstanding potential to create a positive environmental impact.
The selection process has three rounds:
- The open call for applications will run until 10 April 2020. Each applicant will be required to submit responses to a series of questions and upload a referee’s letter of endorsement.
- Finalists drawn from every world region will be shortlisted and requested to submit short videos pitching their big ideas.
- In the final stage, a Global Jury will review the finalists’ big ideas and choose seven Young Champions of the Earth. The winners will be publicly announced and invited to attend the Champions of the Earth award ceremony.
The winners will be expected to implement their big ideas and act as ambassadors of cause at speaking opportunities, while providing regular progress updates in the form of videos and blogs that will be shared on this website.
Awards and benefits
In 2020, seven Young Champions of the Earth will be selected from each global region: Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, West Asia and two from Asia and the Pacific. Each winner will receive:
- US$15,000 in seed funding
- US$9,000 to communicate and capture your idea and document and broadcast the stories of hope and change that you’re catalyzing on the ground
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting
- An introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth award ceremony
- Publicity and recognition through interviews and online and global media
- Access to a community of experts offering insights and mentoring
- Participation in an entrepreneurial training program
The 2020 Young Champions of the Earth will be required to share their journeys through videos and blogs on this website for up to one year.
More than just an honorary title, the Young Champions of the Earth prize aims to nurture the next generation of environmental leaders. Applicants who demonstrate a strong willingness to learn will be granted access to mentoring and skill-building opportunities and to a community of like-minded entrepreneurs and experts.
If you have a bright vision for the future of our planet, you can become a Young Champion of the Earth!
How to apply
To apply please click here