The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35. Who will empower and lead these young Africans? Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management? In order to answer these questions, YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship,YALI Network and now the establishment of Regional Leadership Centers across Africa.
Supporting this progress, the Accra Regional Leadership Centre (RLC), as part of the United States government initiative, Young African Leadership Initiative (YALI), will offer an innovative and game changing leadership training program in Africa. The program will be hosted by Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), and the first cohort will walk through the doors on the 31st July 2014.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
Eligibility and criteria
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Awards and benefits
- At the end of the programs participants will be awarded with certificate and become a member of the Yali Alumni
- Participants will be taking through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership role in their various endeavors.
- Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The management of the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra reserves the right to verify all of the information included in the application.
How To Apply
To Apply please click here