The objectives of the centre are mainly implemented within the framework of cooperative study programmes through joint research, teaching and mentoring. At present, such cooperative study programmes are being realized in the MA programme in Development Management (Bochum Programme), the Masters programme in Development Studies (ISD), the MPA programme (SoG) and the PhD programme in Development Studies and Public Policy. In order to further promote cooperative research, teaching and mentoring the Centre awards scholarships to excellent applicants from Sub-Sahara Africa for a period of study in these joint programmes; it also offers training in soft skills and German language courses for the scholarship holders of the centre, organises summer schools for the MA students of the Division at the RUB and the UWC and arrange academic conferences of the Division at the UWC and at other universities in the region.
Eligibility and criteria
For applicants from African countries with an excellent academic record the DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year.
Scholarships are available for full-time students of
- the Masters in Development Studies
- the Master in Public Administration
- the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme, next deadline 30 November 2021)
(separate online application platform, access and guidelines via “How to apply” section of the Bochum programme or via the course homepage)
- the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC)
Awards and benefits
- Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for PhD candidates
- Tuition and registration fees are covered by the Scholarship Programme.
- Apart from full scholarships for participation in one of the above mentioned programmes a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany.
- During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
- It is not necessary to apply for mobility scholarships before starting your studies
How to Apply
To Apply please click here