Application for the 2020-2021 Japan and World Bank Scholarship Program for Developing Countries is now opened. The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) is open to citizens of developing countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a master degree program in a development-related topic.
Subject to available funding, JJWBGSP offers scholarships for 30 Preferred Programs spanning a wide array of development topics and for 10 Partner Programs at universities in U.S.,
Europe and Japan in key areas of development, including economic policy management, tax policy, and infrastructure management.
Eligibility and criteria
- Be a national of a World Bank member developing country
- Not hold dual citizenship of any developed country
- Be in good health
- Have 3 years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree
- On or before the Scholarship Application Deadline date, be admitted unconditionally (except for funding) for the upcoming academic year to at least one of the JJ/WBGSP
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any type of appointment of the World Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
Awards and benefits
The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship will provide selected applicants with the following benefits
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of your study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period. In addition to the two-way air travel, scholars will receive a US $500 travel allowance for each trip
- Tuition for your graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance obtained through the university.
- While on campus during the scholarship period, a monthly subsistence allowance to cover all living expenses (accommodations, food, etc., including books)
How to Apply
To Apply please click here