BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain research experience and develop their networks. July 2020 to June 2021 BIEA graduate attachment scheme will take up to nine successful applicants. Due to COVID-19 and associated social distancing and travel restrictions, the scheme will consist of on-line research and activities until further notice.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Graduate attachments are three months long.
- You will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and be equally adept at working alone or as part of a larger online team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various research projects and data analysis.
- Graduate attachés can start between 15 July 2020 and 1 January 2021. The scheme for this year will finish on 31 March 2021.
Awards and Benefits
Benefits will include one-to-one and group meetings via Zoom. Successful applicants will be involved in three types of work while with the BIEA:
- Gain practical experience of conducting research by working with a named researcher on one, or a number of, innovative historical, archaeological and anthropological projects on eastern Africa;
- Undertake their own research with the assistance of a named mentor usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or Ph.D. The attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Webinar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA.
- Assisting with the administration of the BIEA including online reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, and online workshops and seminars.
- In addition, the BIEA will offer free weekly online Swahili lessons that graduate attachés can join.
- Graduate attachés will be given an allowance of 1,000 GBP for the three months of the attachment to help pay for food, research expenses, and internet access. The attachés will have to provide receipts for their expenses amounting to their total allowance (small food purchases can be written down weekly in a receipt book/ledger).
- The timing of researcher projects often changes due to budgets and administration so it cannot be guaranteed but a list of researchers who have plans for the next year is included below. Potential graduate attachés should also explore the BIEA Annual Review to find out about other possible projects that are on-going.
How To Apply
To Apply please click here