The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research, and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international, and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The university’s recently founded Antwerp Interdisciplinary Platform for Research into Inequality (AIPRIL) seeks to advance our understanding of how socioeconomic inequalities are changing, what is driving such trends and what, if anything, can be done. AIPRIL is looking for a full-time (100%) Doctoral scholarship holder to conduct research on the topic of Urbanisation, Poverty, and Inequality in Africa.
This project will link large spatial datasets of processed satellite imagery on built-up areas and emitted nightlight in Africa to a micro-level household panel and census data. The project aims to understand how urbanization interacts with economic development in Africa.
The position is based at the Institute of Development Policy (IOB), a member institution of AIPRIL. At IOB scholars from various disciplinary backgrounds come together to study development.
Eligibility and Criteria
- You hold a Master degree in Economics or related social sciences, or will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results
- You can demonstrate excellent applied econometrics skills
- You have conducted independent research before, for example as part of a master thesis.
- You can analyse large data sets in Stata or R. Knowledge of GIS software, such as QGIS is desirable.
- You have a proven interest in development issues in general and for Africa in particular.
- Experience with survey or other fieldwork is desirable.
- You can think creatively, with attention to both detail and the bigger picture.
- You can write clearly, concisely and precisely in English.
Awards and Benefits
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of 2 years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another 2 years.
- The position can start on 1 October 2020 or soon after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
How To Apply
To Apply please click here
- You can apply for this vacancy until 8 August 2020. Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your CV, transcripts showing study results of your highest degree, and a 700 to 1000 word research proposal summarising how you would approach an empirical investigation into Urbanisation, Poverty and Inequality in Africa.
- The selection committee will review all the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Joachim De Weerdt (Joachim.firstname.lastname@example.org).