The purpose of the Francis H. Brown African Scholarship Fund is to expand human knowledge and scientific interest in earth sciences and botany related to human origins by providing financial assistance to East African researchers and students pursuing research in these areas. The fund is further intended to support research that builds on the work of Dr. Francis H. Brown and builds capacity in the earth and botanical sciences in East African institutions.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Students or researchers of African heritage who are citizens of Kenya, Ethiopia or Eritrea who
- Are pursuing a doctoral degree at an accredited university, preferably from, but not limited to, an institution located in sub-Saharan Africa or
- Have completed their doctoral degrees no longer than six years prior to the time of application for funding from this source.
- Applicants shall demonstrate a commitment to a career in their field of study with an emphasis on research and teaching in his/her country of origin following the completion of his/her degree.
- Please include your CV as well as the CV of your advisor. Each CV should be limited to two pages.
- Your sponsor’s letter of support may be uploaded as a PDF. If your sponsor prefers to send the letter directly to us, it may be sent to email@example.com
- Please include a photo of yourself. This photo may be. jpg or .tiff format.
Awards and Benefits
- The maximum award amount is $25,000.
- Analysis costs in a laboratory to which the applicant might not otherwise have access, including, but not limited to, elemental, isotopic, or genetic analysis of geological or botanical specimens. It is expected that analytical costs will be charged at in-house rates in cases where analytical costs are different for internal vs. external users of a laboratory.
- It is intended that the applicant will participate in the measurements in order to enhance his or her capabilities, and not simply send materials to a laboratory for analysis.
- Travel costs for the applicant to a University for the purpose of preparing samples for measurement, or for making measurements such as those described in the section above. Funding may be provided to offset the cost of economy airfare, lodging, and/or subsistence during the time an individual is visiting an institution where the measurements are made.
- Travel costs for the applicant to a field site in order to collect materials for analysis which would otherwise not be available.
- It is intended that such travel will be of short duration (i.e., normally less than two weeks, unless the fieldwork warrants a longer trip), and that the travel is for the express purpose of sample collection.
- Such costs may include economy airfare, food, lodging, vehicle rental and maintenance, fuel, a locally competitive salary for temporary field assistants, and costs of visas or other documents necessary for travel.
- Minor supply items such as sample containers (e.g., bags, bottles, markers, etc.).
- Defrayment of tuition for a recipient of support from this fund, preferably for only the final year of study.
How To Apply
To Apply please click here