The One World Media Awards this year come at an unusual time, as we face the Covid-19 pandemic. In response to the exceptional work of journalists and filmmakers covering the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in developing countries, we are launching the Coronavirus Reporting Award 2020, supported by EBRD.
We did not want to wait until next year. Entries are open now and the winner will be announced in October 2020. This is a global story like few others. We’re connected by a shared crisis that presents us all with new ways of living and seeing the world.
We want to champion stories that show us what is happening beyond our borders and spotlight international perspectives on the pandemic.
We’re looking for stories that show us the potential solutions, the urgent needs, and the surprising implications of COVID-19 around the world.
The Award will be for a piece of media in any format, including print, film, audio, or digital media.
- The Awards recognize the best media coverage of developing countries, celebrating those whose work brings to light underreported stories
- The Awards are open to journalists and filmmakers from all over the world
- With 15 categories, the Awards highlight work from all media platforms and across a wide range of genres and themes
- The focus is on stories, topics or issues in, about or related to developing countries
Eligibility and Criteria
All entries should focus on stories, topics or issues in, about or related to the developing world, including Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia, or the Post-Soviet States. Jurors will be looking for media that cover underreported stories or new angles and approaches to more familiar stories.
Entries must have had their first screening, broadcast, theatrical release, launch, or publication between 1 December 2019 and 30 July 2020.
The Coronavirus Reporting Award is open to entrants anywhere in the world, as long as the work meets one of the following criteria:
- The entry has been broadcast, screened or published (in print or in an established online publication/website) in the UK; OR
- The entry has been broadcast or published (in an established print/online publication/website) internationally and is available for an English-speaking audience; OR
- The entry has been screened at an international film festival
Entries will be evaluated based on the overall merit of the piece, with an emphasis on:
The relevance of the coverage
- The focus must be on stories or topics in, about or related to a developing country
- Include the voices and views of people in/from developing countries
Quality of the coverage
- Well-crafted, structured and engaging
- High production and editorial values
- Distils and presents complex topics to the target audience in an understandable and accessible way
Originality and creativity of the coverage
- All entries should highlight under-reported stories or issues, or explore new angles on familiar topics.
- We are particularly looking at how the story is told: Is it amplifying voices that are normally unheard? Is it an inspiring story that will create change? Does the story challenge misperceptions or stereotypes of developing countries?
Substance and accuracy of the coverage
- Depth of research and analysis
- Well-researched, accurate and balanced reporting
Impact and reach of the coverage
- Demonstrates the actual impact or potential for the coverage to catalyze change
- May have prompted additional media coverage or policy change
- Consideration may be given to the total audience reached
Awards and Benefits
The awards celebrate work across 15 categories and a wide range of media platforms, highlighting the unique role of journalists and filmmakers in bridging the divide between cultures worldwide.
- A unique opportunity to be recognized by some of the industry’s top professionals and to gain a wider audience for your work
- The only Awards recognizing excellence in international journalism and filmmaking specifically from and about developing countries
- They are established, with 31 years of providing a platform for important stories to be shared and celebrated
- They are diverse and open to entries from anywhere in the world
How To Apply
To Apply please click here