Akili Dada is an award-winning leadership incubator for girls and young women. Our mission is to nurture a pipeline of young transformative female leaders who hold equality and justice at heart.
Akili Dada is headquartered in Nairobi – Kenya, with a growing national
and regional presence. Nationally, Akili Dada works across 27 counties in Kenya with programmatic reach in Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, and South Sudan.
We apply a holistic approach to educating and cultivating leadership in adolescent girls and young women, ages 13 – 35, employing four key strategies to nurture growth and meaningful impact:
financial investment, leadership development, mentorship, and feminist movement building.
By selecting from and building the capacity of some of Africa’s most innovative young women, we are meeting the urgent need for both more African women in leadership, as well as the overarching need for creative and empathetic leadership that holds justice at its core.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Akili Dada, through the Dadas Rise project, seeks to empower budding heads of women’s
- rights/girls’ rights organizations to effectively engage in the feminist movement in East
- Specifically, the project seeks to
- Build the capacity of heads of women/girls’ rights organizations to engage in
- transformative leadership;
- Build the capacity of young women leaders to participate in critical conversations to
- influence change;
- Build a platform for young women leaders within the movement to collectively
- organize for change.
Awards and Benefits
- This program provides adolescent girls the space and support they need to develop their leadership styles, learn how to identify needs in their communities and build skills to address community challenges as girl leaders
- Each year, we give scholarships and school supplies to our Akili Dada Scholars – adolescent girls from underserved communities.
- We also offer them psychosocial support to ensure their peace of mind, provide them with dignity, equip them to manage challenges, including harmful cultural practices, and help them do well in a high-pressure academic environment.
- They learn they have freedom of choice and experience a world of academic excellence and cultural diversity as the first step to leadership.
How To Apply
To Apply please click here